Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas 2007



Wow! It's over... all the hustle and bustle, the parties, the gift exchanges, the decorating, the fancy dresses, the presents, Christmas cookies, family dinners, family pictures, surprises, and even the turkey!! But, I must say, I'm a little relieved this morning. What a busy holiday season this was!! With a move literally as the season was beginning and just the normal busyness that Christmas brings, I'm very thankful this morning that it's all pretty much over. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed all of these things, but I found myself sick for about a week and just fatigued. I tried very hard to just savour the moments with my girls and my husband and to love each get together as though it were the first. My oldest sister and her husband were with us, which was a treat. It was the first year in about 3 that he had joined us. We did have to miss out on our youngest sister, which was very disappointing, but her choice.
We made sure at every possible opportunity to thank the Lord for sending Baby Jesus to the earth in such a simple yet beautiful way so that we could have the precious relationship with Him that we do. It was so special this year to be able to share the joy of that story with our little Ella, who seemed to hang on every word. I can't tell you how many times she would take something, like a soap dish or a book that she thought looked like a "manger" and she would look at us and say in her silly voice, "oooh, Baby Jesus". It's amazing how she is so drawn to Him at such a young age and how she talked about Him so often. It reminds me of a quote by St. Augustine, Thou has formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless til they find their rest in thee.
I read that quote some years ago in a Bible study that I was doing with some friends in Texas and it struck me so, that I just can't forget it. It's so true. I hope that you find rest in Him today!